Lincoln’s Birth Story

Posted February 14, 2019 by Kalyn in family, Motherhood, Pregnancy / 0 Comments

That’s right, guys – I’m officially a mom of two! Lincoln Glen Foggy joined us on February 3rd, 2019 at 1:19pm. I’ve had quite a few people express interest in hearing his birth story, so here it is!

Just to provide some insight – I was highly anxious about giving birth again. Clementine’s labor and delivery was difficult, to say the least, and left me with a ton of anxiety about doing it again. Clementine was a natural, vaginal birth after 30+ hours of labor. After such a prolonged labor, my uterus didn’t have the strength to contract after she had crowned, which forced my OB to sweep Clementine’s arm and essentially pull her out of me. Clementine emerged with a loud pop – literally – because her left humerus was fractured in half.

Needless to say, I spent most of my pregnancy fretting about labor and delivery again. However, I had spent the previous ten months of my life getting healthier and stronger than I ever had before, all to prepare for this. Yes – I went keto and lost 65 lbs to prepare for this baby. That’s also why I continued to work out right up until I gave birth.

Okay, let’s jump into the story…

I woke up on Saturday, February, 2nd, excited to spend time with Derek. We had arranged for my in-laws to have Clementine all weekend long so we could spend some time together before Lincoln joined us. It was sort of our last hoorah and in celebration of Derek finishing his masters program the Wednesday before. We had plans to visit a farmer’s market in downtown Phoenix and get breakfast.

As we ate, I began noticing some slight cramps. I mentioned it to Derek, and he asked if I wanted to go home. “No, I wanna go walk around outside and keep it up and get this baby out of me!” So that’s exactly what we did. We walked around and purchased more food, including a delicious chocolat au pain, beignets filled with chocolate and peanut butter, and some baklava.

We headed home in the late morning. We attempted to keep labor going by trying some at home things, including going for a walk. I also pumped with my breast pump. I was able to keep my contractions up all day and we headed to triage at 7:30pm.

We got checked in quickly and the nurse performed a pelvic exam to see if my contractions had been making any progress. I was disheartened when she said I was still only at 1cm. We packed back up and headed home.

We went to bed a little later and I woke up at 4am because I had to pee. As usual. Before I could fall back asleep, I felt a small gush of water. I went back to the bathroom and confirmed it was my water that had broken. I was slightly in shock, as my water didn’t break with Clementine until after 25 hours of labor.

Derek and I were back at the hospital by 4:30am. We spent some time in triage for them to confirm my water had indeed broken, and then we were moved into our labor and delivery room. The nurse checked me once we got settled into the room and I was 2-3cm.

I labored through contractions for a few more hours, curious as to how my body would progress on its own. After another check, I was only 3-4cm. At that time, a doctor (not the OB I had seen my entire pregnancy) came in to discuss some options with me. He wanted me to start pitocin to get my contractions to actually make more change in my cervix.

Pitocin made me nervous. While it can make you contract, it can’t necessarily make your contractions anymore effective. It is a possibility that pitocin will only distress your baby and lead to a c-section. Pitocin can also make the pain get ahead of you. I expressed my concerns with the doctor because I didn’t want to get an epidural. I told him my first was all natural, but a terrible experience, and he said something that completely changed my outlook. He said, “You don’t have to suffer for this to be successful”.

You don’t have to suffer for this to be successful.

It was exactly what I needed to hear. Derek and I decided to go ahead with the pitocin and an epidural to help me manage the pain. The anesthesiologist came in and administered the epidural at maybe 10am. That was easily the worst part of this entire experience. It’s such an interesting sensation to have a needle inserted into your spine. Needless to say, I squeezed Derek’s hand really hard.

Getting the epidural immediately relaxed me and I was able to rest. My nurse then suggested laboring with a peanut ball in between my legs to help things along. However, as my contractions progressed, I realized that my epidural was not working on my left side. I was still feeling everything, and the pitocin was making the contractions intense. My nurse came back in and I told her and she helped me to flip on my left side. It didn’t help. We called the anesthesiologist back in and he said he could fiddle with the site and inject a “booster” to see if that would help. If it didn’t, we could elect to redo the epidural.

Other posts you may enjoy…

After he did all that, I began to cry. I was frustrated that I had opted for an epidural and was still in pain. This wasn’t what I wanted and I didn’t want to go through placing a second epidural. Fortunately, after 15 minutes or so, the epidural began to work – I was so relieved!

Shortly after, at around 1pm, we had a hard time locating Lincoln’s heart rate on the monitors. My nurse fiddled with it for awhile and we were still having a hard time. I wasn’t too worried, as I could still feel him moving. My doctor came in at that time, and said that sometimes women lose too much fluid during labor and that can affect the monitors. He suggested inserting a catheter into my uterus to pump some fluids back in. We prepared for him to do that, only for him to discover that I was at 9cm!

I was in shock that I had progressed from a 4 to a 9 in just a few short hours! It took me about 12 hours to make that progress with Clementine.

However, that meant the doctor wasn’t able to insert the catheter. Instead, they prepared the room for delivery. They sat my bed up to help Lincoln descend. This was only a short time after receiving my epidural “booster” so my lower body was entirely dead weight.

Twenty minutes later they prepped me to begin pushing. We tried two or so practice pushes. It was such a weird sensation to be pushing and not really feeling it because of the epidural. We moved onto real pushes. During the third or so push the doctor told me I made amazing progress and that we needed to get Lincoln out now and to keep pushing.

Lincoln joined us with the next push. He was very blue, as the cord was wrapped around his neck; but he was making noises. The doctor quickly untangled him and placed him on me.

I stared at Derek in shock. It was over! I had done it! And it didn’t take 30 hours! I cried tears of joy and relief. All my hard work in preparing for this moment had paid off.

Lincoln quickly regained color and his cries grew stronger. He was placed on my chest immediately and began nursing about 20-30 minutes later.

On Monday morning my in-laws brought Clementine to meet her baby brother. I hadn’t seen her since Friday evening and got a little teary eyed when I did. She was so excited to meet Lincoln and was very sweet and gentle with him.

At this point it’s been over a week since I’ve had Lincoln – almost two, actually – and I still can’t believe the labor and delivery went as smooth as it did! I’m so happy with the choices I made during my labor and would 10,000% make them all again.

Sharing is caring!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.