Have you taken the time to discover your passion in life? And I’m talking like a hobby that you love to do. I’m not talking about your purpose or how you bring home money each month. I more mean what you do to unwind and decompress. When I say “passion” I mean something that sets your soul on fire, which is an extremely painful-sounding metaphor for something that you really, really, really like to do.
In the book You Are A Badass by Jen Sincero, she refers to frequencies a lot. High frequency = good. Low frequency = bad. And a frequency is basically the vibe that you’re putting out into the universe. So when you’re operating at a high frequency, it means you’re doing good things in your life, such as helping others, thinking positively, living to your fullest potential, and discovering your passion. I like the high frequency metaphor, especially when it comes to discovering your passion, because that’s exactly how I feel when I’m doing it. When I’m working in my passion, it feels like my nerves are alight. I’m firing on all cylinders, having a blast, and losing track of time. High frequency vibes all the way!
For the record, as a Bible-believing Christian, I don’t believe that I’m actually releasing any frequencies into the “Universe”. Her particular use of the word frequency just resonated with me when it comes to how I feel about my passion.
What is my passion you ask? Simple – makeup. I love to do makeup, both on myself and on others. I love to learn about all aspects of the industry too. I love to keep up on new releases and formulations and brands. I love to play in it and create new looks. Having a creative outlet I can focus on allows me to quiet my mind and unwind. I can switch off my mind for a little bit and drown out the noise pollution by blending until my arm nearly falls off.
When I do someone’s makeup and it’s time for the big reveal, my heart nearly flutters out of my chest. I’m so nervous and excited for them to see it and when she loves it I about faint from giddiness.
Investing my passion has made a huge difference in my daily life and attitude.
Benefits of Investing In Your Passion
- Break from the busyness. If you’re a busy person who typically feels overwhelmed, a hobby is even more important for you. It provides a slice of time where you can get a break from responsibility.
- Social outlet. With social media, it’s easy to find a community on Facebook or Instagram for your passion. Connecting with others who share your passion is refreshing!
- Eustress. Did you know not all stress is bad? Eustress is a type of stress that you experience when you’re excited about life. If you’re feeling particularly uninspired about life in general, finding and doing your passion will help you to feel that eustress.
- Health benefits. That’s right – investing in your passion literally makes you physically healthier! You’re less susceptible to fatigue, it helps sharpen your mind, and can help lower your blood pressure and cortisol levels, too.
How Can I Find My Passion?
Okay, so now you’re convinced that discovering your passion is essential to your well-being, but maybe you aren’t sure what your passion is. Here’s a few questions you can ask yourself to help get the ball rolling on discovering what your passion may be.
- What about your current lifestyle do you find meaningful, enjoyable, pleasurable, etc?
- If you didn’t need to work for a paycheck, how would you spend your time?
- What activities have you done in the past that you loved engaging in?
- Describe your ideal day from morning until bedtime.
- What are some things you would like to accomplish before you die?
These questions will get you in the right mindset to discover your passion. Please write your answers down and I encourage you to go down any rabbit holes that your mind finds. There are no limits and fears here, okay?
So, if you haven’t already, I highly encourage you to start wading through the water to discover your passion. The world needs you to be pursuing it! Your health needs you to be pursuing it! Don’t be afraid to tap into that high-frequency and dive in head first. Your future self will thank you, I promise.
As always, thank you so much for being here! I hope you’re enjoying this series as much as I am!